There are few certainties in life but I think it’s safe to say that at present the internet does not need another picture of avocado on toast. Now I love avocado on toast as much as the next person (who also likes avocado on toast). And far from bemoaning it’s recent, almost indecent, popularity I am in fact delighted that frequently there is now something on a brunch menu that I can eat. However, the ubiquitous nature of AoT perhaps may lead to a neglect of other, delicious alternatives. I thought I would present a few options, but pretty much anything can be put on a slice of bread. Let your imagination run wild! If in doubt there’s also the trusty old, pre-avocado, fall back of peanut butter and jam. Yum.
Left to right, from the top:
- Vegan cream cheese* with cucumber slices and chives
- Garlic fried mushrooms with thyme
- Houmous and sweetcorn
- Brushetta – garlic rubbed toast with sliced cherry tomatoes and oregano
- Black olive tapenade and cress
- Artichoke, sun-dried tomato and spring onion
- Banana, peanut butter and cocoa powder
- Tahini, date and cinnamon
- Almond butter, peach and mint
*Sainsburys just bought out a great garlic and herb one. Usually I’d recommend people to be wary of vegan cheese as it’s not always great but I think this stuff is a winner.