A nice, cold thick chocolate shake always seems like a good option when I’m short on time and want something healthy. For those mornings when I’ve spent so long deciding what to wear that I’ve run out of time for breakfast but don’t want to leave the house on an empty stomach it’s a lifesaver. I blend it all up and pour into a tall round tupperware container (bought precisely for the purpose) and then chuck it into my bag to drink en-route to wherever I’m rushing off to.
A chocolate milkshake may not seem like a healthy option but rest assured this one will leave you feeling great, and mot importantly full. It uses frozen banana as a creamy base, chia seeds to thicken and maple syrup to sweeten. You can easily omit the protein powder if you don’t have any to hand but I find it adds a certain bulk to the shake that ensures I’m kept full til lunch.
Thick Chocolate Shake
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 250ml non-dairy milk (I use oat milk)
- 1 frozen banana (if not frozen add a handful of ice)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- maple syrup (or other sweetener of your choice) to taste
- 1 tbsp vegan protein powder
- Add all ingredients, except maple syrup, to blender and blitz until really smooth.
- Have a quick taste and add some maple syrup if it’s not sweet enough. I like to chuck in a few cubes of ice at this point as I like my shakes really cold, but if you’re using a frozen banana it should be cool enough. Blitz again briefly and pour into a glass. Best drunk immediately.